December 6, 2012

Lunch Today: Butternut Squash Grits

I didn't have any lunch for the kids today, so Sean suggested baking the butternut squash we had and making squash grits (which we've made in the past as a side dish for dinner). So that's what we had...and they loved it - all 3 of them. The older two had 3 bowls each.

(recipe below)

***

Lately, butternut squash has gotten to be one of my favorite vegetables. It's so sweet and delicious. I often cook one to puree as baby food for Luke, and I find myself sneaking bites in between his.

In addition to making baby food out it or having it as a side dish with butter & brown sugar, we also make the above mentioned squash grits, butternut squash soup (I'll post the recipe next time we make it), and another one our kids love: Smack N' Cheese (basically noodles and cheese sauce with butternut squash mixed in...will also post that recipe at a later date).

As a side note, the raw inside of a butternut squash can cause a skin reaction - it does for me and I've read this can happen. I am careful not to touch it, using a fork to hold it if I need to peel it.

2 ways I cook a butternut squash


On the Stovetop:

  1. Peel and chop the squash into large chunks (remove the seeds on the inside)
  2. Boil in a large pot of water until squash becomes tender (about 20 to 30 minutes)
  3. Drain water

In the Oven:

  1. Cut the ends off and cut in half lengthwise, remove the seeds
  2. Place face down in a glass baking dish
  3. Add about a quarter inch of water
  4. Bake at 400 for about an hour (give or take depending on size)


Butternut Squash Grits


3/4 cup quick grits
1 cup pureed butternut squash*
1/4 cup parmesan cheese 
1 to 2 tablespoons of butter
salt to taste

Cook and puree one small-to-medium butternut squash. Set aside.

Bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Stir in 3/4 cup quick grits. Reduce heat to medium-high and let cook 3 to 5 minutes, uncovered.

Stir butter, squash and parmesan cheese into the grits. Salt. Eat. Enjoy.

*try pureed sweet potato or pumpkin

    No comments:

    Post a Comment