December 3, 2012

Granola

Every day for 2 years, my husband ate the same breakfast every morning: 1 over-easy egg, 2 strips of turkey bacon, a bowl of granola with frozen blueberries and a glass of orange juice.

Well, I would have gotten sick of the same breakfast over and over again way before 2 years, but out of that, we have held on to our precious granola recipe.

I want this to be my first posted recipe because it dates back to when our relationship started. I have modified it slightly since then, but I guess we all get "modified" over time.


Granola


On the stove over medium heat until sugar is dissolved:

1 cup of water
1 to 2 cups of brown sugar (depending on how sweet you want it)
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl:

8 cups of Old Fashioned Oats (not quick oats)
A few shakes of cinnamon
2 cups chopped walnuts (and/or almonds, pecans)
1 cup Craisins (or raisins or other dried fruit)
optional: 1/2 cup coconut

Pour sugar mixture over dry ingredients and mix until well coated.

Pre-heat oven to 275. Spread granola out onto two greased baking sheets and bake for about an hour, stirring half way through (you can put wax paper or parchment paper down first, but be sure to use cooking spray).

Let cool completely before storing. Add dried fruit after granola comes out of the oven.

*in the above photo, this batch doesn't have any nuts because of my son's allergy to them, and I was out of Craisins. But still just as tasty.

1 comment: