May 30, 2013

Homemade Deodorant

It's time to get a little personal and talk about deodorant.

For years, I have used an antiperspirant, even thought a while back I heard that it wasn't good for you, especially if it contains aluminum (which I assume most do). Every once in a while I have given a natural deodorant a try, but they never work. I have always gone back to my trusty old aluminum.

But after I started making all my changes around the house with my personal care products and cleaning products, I knew my stick of Dove had to go (not only does it have aluminum, but also many other nasty ingredients.)

*For more reading about deodorants, check out these articles:

Beware of aluminum in deodorant products
Top five ingredients to avoid in deodorant

So I had been given a homemade deodorant recipe last fall. I tucked it away for later, and then sometime in November or December I made a batch to give it a try.

I have been using it for about 6 months now and I can say that I love, love, love it and will never return to store-bought.

I waited to blog about it because while it was working just fine during the cold months, I needed to give it some Southern heat before making the final verdict.

And I can say that after a few hot days so far this Spring - which included doing some afternoon yard work - that this absolutely works better than my old stick of Dove. It's quite amazing (even by the following morning, I am still fresh as a rose).

***

Homemade Deodorant


1/3 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup corn starch
optional: a few drops of essential oil for scent

Heat through on the stove. Pour into a container with a lid (ideally a glass container).

With clean hands, scoop out a small amount with your finger and rub it on. 

The consistency will change depending on the season (it will be solid in the winter and much softer in the summer).

***

I'm almost finishing up with my first batch now...and as I said, I started 6 months ago. And I'm definitely saving money this way.

So if you have doubts about the safety of your deodorant, give this a try and see how it works for you. You might be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment