June 13, 2013

Baking Soda Toothpaste Update

Last month I wrote a post about my husband and I switching from store-bought toothpaste to a homemade baking soda/sea salt mixture (followed by a post about fluoride).

I know that some people reading that might be skeptical about its effectiveness or even the overall safety of it on teeth (is baking soda too abrasive?...not according to this Relative Dentin Abrasivity chart).

Well, we have been very happy with it and I surely never see myself going back to the gooey tubes.

But for just a little more reassurance, I wanted to share about the dentist appointment I had yesterday for a standard check-up.

As background, I have very good teeth. I have had a small number of fillings and never had any major teeth or gum problems. I always have wonderful dental check-ups and nobody ever tells me I'm doing anything wrong.

Yesterday's visit went very well, as usual. After the hygienist used her little scraper on my bottom teeth - before doing the cleaning - she said that I only had a tiny amount of tartar and that my teeth looked great.

The dentist came in and took about 20 seconds to look around, made a comment about the warm weather and left.

So after 4 months of using our homemade toothpaste, everything is still in wonderful shape. I hope that says a little about it working just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment