January 21, 2013

DIY: Homemade Crackers

As I further my quest to rid my family of highly processed foods kept around the house, I finally decided to tackle a staple around here: crackers. My children love crackers.

I went searching for something super easy to throw together that I wouldn't mind making about once a week (or however long a batch would last). I came across this recipe at allrecipes.com. I followed it exactly, but there were 2 major issues with it: they were bland and since the crackers are cut apart after baking, the outside ones get crispy but the inside ones stay soft.

After making some tweaks with each batch, I finally got them right on my fourth try. They are mild in flavor, so there is plenty of room to spice them up when we need to. But they do taste great, and my kids love them.


Whole Wheat Garlic Parmesan Crackers


1 3/4 cup whole wheat four
1 1/2 cup all-purpose four
2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
1/3 cup olive oil
1 cup water

Preheat oven to 350.

In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add olive oil and water. Ball up the dough.

On a flat floured surface - I do mine on parchment paper - roll out the dough (I do about a third at a time). Roll it out thin, but not so thin that you can't transfer it to the baking sheet.

Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough into squares.* Try to make them all roughly the same size so they cook evenly.

Transfer the squares to an ungreased baking sheet (they can be placed close together). Sprinkle with salt.

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until they start to get crispy. They will continue to get more crispy as they cool.

* I plan on trying to find a square cookie cutter to see if it makes it easier and faster to cut them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment