February 8, 2013

Toxic Free: Cleaning the Bathroom

Going for toxic free cleaning in the bathroom is so super easy, there's no excuse not to do it. There are no recipes to search for or things to try and try again.

You need two things to clean your bathroom: Vinegar and Baking Soda.

For your sink, counter, shower and tub, mix a spray bottle with equal parts white vinegar and water. This will disinfect and get rid of any mold and mildew.

I tried it a while ago in our hard-to-clean-because-it's-so-tiny shower and it seems like it's taking longer for the pink stuff to return than from when I used Tilex.

For the toilets, just sprinkling some baking soda, spray some vinegar and scrub with the brush. This also has seemed to keep the visible yuckiness away for longer. 

I also mixed up some glass/mirror cleaner using this recipe I found. It works great. (update: my friend Amy just left a comment about using the vinegar/water mixture on the mirror too. I tried it and it works perfectly...no streaks! Yay for simplifying.)

The water/vinegar mix is a good all-purpose cleaner, not just for the bathroom.

These small and easy changes will be better for your lungs and easier on your wallet.

4 comments:

  1. This is what I do, although I have found that the vinegar/water works just fine as a glass cleaner, too - no streaks! I don't even bother with a separate glass cleaner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just tried it on my bathroom mirror (which had many, many toothpaste spots due to our kids brushing their teeth in our bathroom)...and it worked perfectly! Better than what I had mixed up as a glass cleaner. No streaks!

    Thanks, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cheryl! I've heard a lot about using vinegar and water as an alternative for all-purpose cleaners, but I think this is pretty much the first time I've heard of adding baking soda. I'm going to try it out and let you know. The cleaner I use seems to irritate my cat a bit, so I think I'm going to be testing this DIY cleaner for some time. Thank you for sharing! :)

    Jill O'Brien @ Penn Valley

    ReplyDelete